Wednesday, December 13, 2017
   
About What's Inside Historical Buildings
Historical Buildings

Crombie's Station

Built in 1882 by the Toronto, Grey & Bruce Railway, Crombie's Station was originally located just north and west of the intersection of the 3rd Line (County Road 11) and 20 Sideroad of Amaranth township. Residents from the area who wished to catch a train north (to Owen Sound) or south (to Toronto) would use the station as a shelter in which to wait for the train. As an unstaffed facility, would-be travelers had to wave a green and white flag to signal a train to make a stop. Crombie’s Station was moved to a museum site in Shelburne in 1969, and then to its current location at the DCMA in 1993.

Rich Hill Orange Lodge 

This single room Orange hall was constructed of tamarack logs in 1861 in its original location lot 20, Concession 1, Amaranth township, northwest of Orangeville. The land was donated by the Spence family of Rich Hill farm, but there was one important condition attached: no alcohol could be consumed on the premises. The building also served the community as a school house and church. It was moved to a museum site in Shelburne, Ontario in 1966.



1881 "Dufferin" House

The magnificent log house you discover on entering our facility is an actual home, built about 1852 by Nancy (Dodds) and James Eccles on Lot 9, Concession 1, EHS (East of Hurontario Street), in Mono township. Currently, the interior of the house is appointed and furnished with artifacts from the DCMA Collection to reflect the period of the County of Dufferin's incorporation in 1881. Even the interior wall coverings were sourced to this period. A brief study of the home’s exterior and, in particular, the girth of the logs that form its impressive walls will give visitors a sense of how large the trees in this area were when European settlers first arrived.

Corbetton Church

Historic Corbetton Church is a quaint country church that was relocated from the community of Corbetton in Melancthon Township to the grounds of the Dufferin county Museum in 1999. Its relocation and subsequent restoration represents one of the largest preservation projects undertaken by the DCMA, and paid for exclusively through donations of funds, time and materials; no tax dollars were used to cover the project’s $250,000 price tag. Today, Historic Corbetton Church proudly stands on the north end of the DCMA grounds, as both a fine example of early rural church architecture, and what can be achieved through community co-operation and involvement.

Copyright 2013 by Dufferin County Museum & Archives